Pain in right side chest, back, severe, constant

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am feeling extreme pain in the top right hand side of my cahest and back espically when i breathe or move.. it started a few days ago in my chest as mild pain and has moved onto my back aswell its a constant pain slowly getiing more painfull its abouts 7/10 at the moment and been like this for few hours, if i push in my chest at the top right hand side its feels like im pushing my lung
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 2 hours later

Don't worry. With respect to your symptoms and if you didn't have any trauma to the chest wall, you seem to have Costochondritis.
Its a benign disorder wherein the soft portion of your ribs is inflamed causing pain on movements like XXXXXXX breathing or pressing against them.

Its a self limiting condition and usually subsides within a few days.

X-rays don't show any changes and MRI of the chest wall will confirm the diagnosis. However, its not essential for diagnosis as the diagnosis is usually clinical.

The treatment:
- Kindly apply ice over the areas of maximum pain.
- Get anti-inflammatories prescribed for a week. They would be of great help in reducing the pain drastically.
- Continue this for a week or two. You pain should subside markedly by then.

If not, write back to me. I will be available for follow up.

I hope my advise was satisfactory and useful. I would like to know your feedback, if possible after a week.

Wish you good health and don't worry.

Thank you.