Pain in right side abdomen, fever. Had diarrhea, vomiting and stomach pain. Could these be due to appendicitis?

Hi, I took my seven year old to the doctor this morning she is complaining of adomen pain mainly on the right side and had diarrohea all yesterday and 1 episode of vomitting while these now have ceased the pain in her stomach is still present, while it is tender she is not jumping off the couch when you press her stomach, her temperature is 36.3, her heart rate is 120 pm, my doctor thinks I should admit her to hospital, what do you think? as I think it is just gastric and not her appendix but could it be her appendix would terrible pain?
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 34 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern.

I think your doctor is right. Any pain in right side of abdomen, along with fever and lots of local tenderness is appendicitis unless proved otherwise.

Appendix inflammation can lead to lots of pain and along with it, fever, loose motions, vomiting etc.

The best thing you can do is, please talk to your doctor and ask it there is option of getting blood counts, urine examination and ultrasound as soon as possible on out door basis. The reports should come in couple of hours.

You can wait for the reports to come and have a final call after looking at the reports.

If this is not possible, then please follow your doctor’s advice and admit her in the hospital. Appendicitis needs proper treatment. At times in cases of severe infection some known complications like perforation can occur, which is not desirable.

In mean time, continue with medications given, do not give solid foods and give her medicines for fever.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask, in case of no further query please accept the answer.

Wishing her speedy recovery.