Pain in right shoulder. Suggest treatment

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, in the past 2 weeks I have developed sharp and aching pain in my right came on suddenly without an explanation and is worse at night, making sleeping or turning over very painful. When I inhale, particularly during the night and in the morning, the pain in my shoulder increases. It seems worse also when I am lying down. Massages, hot wheat-bags and tiger balm have done little to help.Hope you can help? Thankyou.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to tendonitis.

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa.
It causes local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion.
You need to get an MRI scan done which is a sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor. Taking muscle relaxants will also help.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain in right shoulder. Suggest treatment 6 hours later
Thankyou Dr. Tayal.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards