Pain in right lower back. X-ray showed osteophytic lipping

Just wondering I have alot of pain in my right side of my lower back and legs the xrays showed posterior narrowing of the discs at L3/4 L4/5 AND L5/S1 with minimal rim typed osteophytic lipping
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for your query.

I am so sorry to hear about this back pain radiating down your right leg.

From the information and the xray findings, this represents a low back pain caused by spinal stenosis. In this pathology, the nerve roots are been compressed by surrounding structures(intervertebral disc, bony growths, etc) leading to pain. This is typically distributed along the part of the body innervated by the various nerves.

Management is mainly conservative with pain medications and physical therapy to enable you enjoy a pain free live. If these measures should fail to control your pain or you develop a neurological deficit( like urinary retention, constipation, difficulties using your leg, etc), then surgical options would be considered.

For now, I will suggest that you continue with your doctor and let him plan, evaluate and propose the various treatment options to you depending on the findings and progress on treatment.

I hope this helps and guides you. i honestly hope you get to figure out what works best for you as soon as possible. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Pain in right lower back. X-ray showed osteophytic lipping 1 hour later
Would that explain the numbness I get in the vagina area as well I completely lose feeling in my legs and bottom and nearly collapse and have to stop doing what I'm doing until it stops and I've also been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 27 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up.

I am sorry for the late response. I have had a very busy day at the office.

Yes, this could be the most likely cause of these neurological symptoms. I will suggest that you XXXXXXX and get the reflexes completely evaluated by a neurologist or neurosurgeon to map out the exact problem going on with the loss of sensation around these areas.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD