Pain in right leg in certain spots, progresses to numbness. Chest pain also. Is chest pain related to leg issue ?

I have this pain in my right leg in certain spots. my calve my thigh my buttock and back of my ankle it begins as a annoying pain and progresses to numbness then pins in needles also i am starting to get a pain in my chest on the right side and sometimes it switches to my left side following into my back but only on the left side does it do this i am loosing sleep because of it and now i wanna know if i should go to the ER i have no insurance and is the chest pain related to my leg issue or is it anxiety what ??
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     20 year old female
•     Complaints of: Anxiety, pain at leg, buttock, back of ankle, chest with change in location of pain, poor sleep, numbness with pins and needles sensation.

You case is interesting and but difficult too but I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

Considering all your complaints together I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Stress or Anxiety: it need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist. All your complaints can occur in these conditions. Daily jogging and aerobics help in some mild cases. Anxiety can cause muscle spasm in multiple parts of body which can cause pain.
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use: Stop use (if any) gradually
•     Thyroid related problem: Get it investigated as this can lead to above symptoms with anxiety.

Although chances of having urgent medical condition is very less in your case but it can be rule out without in person examination by physician.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Pain in right leg in certain spots, progresses to numbness. Chest pain also. Is chest pain related to leg issue ? 6 minutes later
Muscle spasms i doubt. I do know what those are and this didn't help me much the pain isn't going away its been everyday for the past 2 weeks i however wasn't stressed until recently because of the lack of sleep its been causing me. none of the information was helpful.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up,

I can understand your concern. But to cause pain visible muscle spasm is not necessary. Remember, in tension people used to have headache. Anxiety is severe form of tension and can cause pain in any part of body similarly. Area of pain differ person to person depending on sensitivity of body.

Anxiety is used to associated with sleep problem. Considering unusual nature and site of pain complaints, anxiety is one of the best possibility in your case. There is no harm to keep it as possible cause while planning final management. Although other cause may be apparent after investigation.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.