Pain in right leg, diagnosed with scoliosis

I was just woken up by pain XXXXXXX in my right leg. I am a skier when it is ski season and it doesnt feel muscular. I was just diagnosed with scoliosis recently. This something a bit different for me.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

The pain may be due to XXXXXXX VEIN THROMBOSIS (DVT).

DVT is the formation of a blood clot ("thrombus") in a XXXXXXX vein. XXXXXXX vein thrombosis commonly affects the leg veins (such as the femoral vein or the popliteal vein)

A DVT can occur without symptoms, but in many cases the affected extremity will be painful, swollen, red, warm and the superficial veins may be swollen. DVT is a medical emergency, so, all limb swellings, however trivial, should be regarded as a DVT until proven otherwise.

There are several factors which can increase a person's risk for DVT, including immobilization (especially when orthopedic casts are used, or during long air flights, leading to traveller's thrombosis), smoking, obesity, age, certain drugs.

The most commonly used tests for the diagnosis of DVT are a blood test called D-dimers and colour doppler ultrasound of the affected veins.

The most serious complication of a DVT is that the clot could dislodge and travel to the lungs, which is called a pulmonary embolism (PE).
Follow-up: Pain in right leg, diagnosed with scoliosis 4 hours later
I am fairly active aside from spending the weekend on the couch and have not had any casts, I am also taking musaril (terazapam) and there is what looks like a bruise on my lower leg, but I dont see any Veins sticking out. The pain feels fairly XXXXXXX and dull but on a scale of 1 to 10 it is probably a 4 when setting up and 6 while lying down. Is it possible that this is a medical emergency, and I should go to the ER?

It is difficult to predict an emergency with the description of pain. It is prudent to get an examination at an ER and check for pulses and color doppler. I suggest as the complications of DVT are detrimental.

The nature of pain in DVT vary. Though the XXXXXXX and dull pain that you describe is not predicting the serious nature.