Pain in right leg below knee. What could be this?

I have aching pain in my right leg below knee towards back of leg like tooth ache. Gives most pain going up or coming down stairs on contraction not extension. Also aches like mad when just sitting
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly muscle strain or deep vein related. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to WWW.WWWW.WW Thank you for posting your question, I can understand your concern. With the available information I can only guess that you maybe suffering from a tear or strain in the calf muscles or it could also be due to deep vein thrombosis or decreased blood supply to the muscles. It would help me greatly if you could elaborate a little more on your problem, so that I could help you better, hence if you don't mind please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible. 1. When did this all start? 2. Is the pain getting worse day by day? 3. Do you get pain as soon as you get up and start walking around, or it happens only when you climb up the stairs? 4. Does the pain subside after a while of walking, if you keep walking? 5. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your pain while sitting, and while climbing the stairs? 6. If you were to describe the pain, how would you describe it? for example, throbbing, pricking, stabbing... 7. How did this pain start? Was is sudden, say like, while climbing stairs you suddenly felt something and the pain started or was it different? 8. Is your right leg colder or warmer than your left leg? 9. Do you have any pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, vasculitis, Reynod's disease? 1o. Do you have any fever? You can do cold compress to the area for relief from pain for the time being. I would also suggest you consult your local doctor or emergency and get a complete physical examination done to rule out conditions like Deep vein thrombosis or vasculitis or infection. It is a limitation of online consultation that I can not examine you completely, so my answers will be based on the limited clinical data that is available. Please do get back to me with answers if you need further information. Awaiting your response. Wishing you speedy recovery, Warm regards,