Pain in right chest near breast bone and feels like punched in muscle. Had carpel tunnel in wrists. Suggest the cure?

Hi! I have pain in my right chest near my breast bone and middle/top of my breast. It feels like I was punched or pulled a muscle and is making it difficult to sleep. I'm not having any trouble breathing but do need to hold my chest when I cough as it aggravates it more. It does ease if I'm moving around. If I sleep on my left side or my back but favor the left, the pain seems to stay as described and is and will increase or decreas based on movement. If I lay flatter on my back, favor the right, or lay on my right side, it moves to my right shoulder, my right upper back and my right upper arm. When I stand up, it rotates back to my chest within a minute or so and I may even get a sharp pain in my back upper right arm near my arm pit like a nerve is being pinched. I'm on no meds, last bloodwork and vitals all good. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and only other unusual is my gramdmother did have a clavicle steal. I've never been tested for that.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

The description sounds close to costochondritis, very common and non worrisome, completely curable condition. You had not mentioned the onset and duration of the symptom. It must be arising from the muscles or ribs on the chest wall and the reasons are undescribed yet.

You can take simple OTC pain relievers like Ibuprofen up to 600mg depending on the severity of the pain thrice a day for three days after meal. It also makes sense to add PRILOSEC OTC, one tab before breakfast for these three days.

I should not be worried about the clavicle steal syndrome at this point.

Let me know after five days.

Follow-up: Pain in right chest near breast bone and feels like punched in muscle. Had carpel tunnel in wrists. Suggest the cure? 4 hours later
Thank you, Doctor. It started probably 3 days or so ago and I probably made it worse by tossing and turning pretty excessively the night before last as frustrated with not getting good sleep. I did start taking an OTC yesterday and will continue next few days. A friend mentioned a heating pad. Would you recommend that? Also, I sleep with a bedroom window cracked open and our night aren't cold yet but getting cooler in the 50's high 40's. Do you think that could have an impact or prolong?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heat pads helpful

Detailed Answer:

Yes heating pads helpful. You continue the OTC medicine. It is better to avoid cold unless there is swelling over the area.

Yeah it is better sleep tight, if the nights are colder you have a disturbed sleep and it prolongs the healing. Rest is important.