Pain in ribs. Diagnosed with MGUS. Family history of cancer. Will the pain go? Will it lead to cancer?

My history: I am a woman in my early 40's and this year I was diagnosed with MGUS. My paraprotein level is at 7. I currently have pain in my ribs - both sides. I was told that due to my age, my current paraprotein level and the fact that my mom and her family all had blood/bone cancers that I will go onto develop Myeloma.
My question: What length of time am I looking at before developing cancer and does the pain you suffer in bones, generally remain and get worse throughout???
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have stated, it appears that you are diagnosed as having MGUS this year. Now MGUS is a benign condition and only 11.2% of them go on develop some kind of cancer out of it. The rest of them do not develop any cancer. Even if your family members had it, it doesn't make it certain that you are bound to have this cancer.
Secondly coming to your question proper that how much time do you have, of the patients developing multiple myeloma out of MGUS, 17% of them develop so at 10 years, 34% of them at 20 years and 39% of them at 25 years. Considering that you are diagnosed at 44 years, even if you were to develop this cancer (chances of which are not very high), it may take a fairly long time depending on your luck.

Hope you can understand that medical science is not a very perfect science.
Have faith and things will not be that bad.
Coming to the second part of your question, the bone pain generally persists but may not get worse. It may get worse only if there is a development of multiple myeloma. That should prompt you to get investigated further.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Pain in ribs. Diagnosed with MGUS. Family history of cancer. Will the pain go? Will it lead to cancer? 2 days later
Thank you for answering but I have had my consultant say several times to me during a consultation; that, due to my age now, my para-protein levels now (rose from 6 to 7 within a short period which is why I am now being closely monitored) and direct link to this cancer due to my mom (her consultant is now being paid to further investigate 'links' within family members as now discovered 'breast cancer' is not the lone cancer that family members can pass-on) I was told that each one greatly increases my chances of being diagnosed.... So no disrespect meant but, my consultant has access to my medical notes. Overall I am just coming to terms with it all. Don't misjudge me, I am not wishing on death (after literally watching my own mom die of cancer, I really do not want it) or being morbid. My own GP said that I wouldn't get diagnosed yet a while but I would be....So like I say I am coming to terms with ask direct questions, you get direct questions.

So after speaking to another GP today, the pain in bones increase due to the increase levels of cancer cells wonderful for me.

So thank you again................
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 16 hours later
I can understand what you are going through.
you had asked me the chances of MGUS developing into a cancer. I told you what research has shown and in no way changed the facts to comfort you. You asked a direct question, you got a direct answer.
Now that the pain is increasing and there is a family history, yes, the chances of you developing the cancer is more but still I maintain that the risk is not 100%. Until it is diagnosed, there is still no need to panic.
Even if it is diagnosed, then probably you are already in term with it and seem to have accepted it to be coming.
I wish you best of luck for your diagnosis and i request you to lead a healthy life.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD