Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain in penis when having sex. Is this a nerve problem or a blood flow problem?

Question
Hello Dr. I have a decent erection and I don't think I need pills for stimulation. I have never tried them anyway. Lately though, sex can be a little painful on the penis. There is a nerve at the left side of the head that has a throbbing sensation even when I am not active. It's uncomfortable but doesn't really hurt. It has nothing to do with stimulation. It seems that the head of the penis does not fill up and therefore hurts a little when having sex. The more this nerve acts up, the less blood flow reaches the penis. Is this a nerve problem or a blood flow problem or both? Like I said, I can still perform but it is not as pleasurable. I would be open to a non pharmceutical fix if possible. Have you heard of anything like this before? Thanks for your response.
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
Your condition may occur due to few factors vascular,( local injury, trauma, infections , etc.. ) neurologic( lumbar discopathy, sacral region trauma, etc.. ) psychologic ( stress, depression, fear of intimacy,etc.. ) hormonal or adverse effects of drugs. I do believe you have not above mentioned causes, just make a self assessment to rule out all these factors. Yes , you right in partial erection sometime you can experience pain, discomfort. What you can do practically : laboratory analysis : measurement of testosterone level; use mechanical devices as vacuum device ( be carefully , may occur bruises ) and after full erection penis rings ( cock ring ) on base of your penis. Additionally you may try low doses of prescription drugs like tadalafil, vardenafil or sildenafil. All these measures will improve your condition quickly.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Pain in penis when having sex. Is this a nerve problem or a blood flow problem? 15 hours later
The first time I noticed this odd nerve thing was after I took some Tuanol about 30 years ago. I wonder if it can be corrected. Everything seems so complicated. I think this nerve feeling is affecting the blood flow. Like I said, I still have sex. Sometimes I have to slow down so I don't ejaculate right away. Anyway, the nerve throbbing feeling happens with or without sex. I'm guessing you never heard of this complication before? Anyway, thanks.

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 6 hours later
Welcome back,
Yes, your sensation is very specific and interesting, there possible be involved vessel ( pulsating artery for example), just when you have possibility make an ultrasonography of your genital organs. If you took anything 30 years ago , this has not any correlation with your present condition. I am glad you are generally healthy , have normal erection , not suffering from premature ejaculation ( that is good signs , many man complaining of this ), and can be active in intercourse.
I wish you good luck,
Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail