Pain in nipple with white puss. What this can be?

My wife has pain in her nipple (for last couple of days). Which is kind of spreading. Some white pass kind of thing came out today, when she was checking it. Can you please tell me what it could be?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 12 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It is very difficult to conclude if the white material that came out is pus or accumulated debris. However since pain is there and presuming it to be pus it is advisable to consult a doctor or surgeon to exclude an abscess formation which would require immediate and appropriate management.

Till the time you consult the doctor you may give your wife acetaminophen or iboprofen for pain reduction and apply ice packs at the site.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your wife an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal