Pain in neck with stiffness, cracking noises. What needs to be done ?

hi im XXXXXXX i have been suffering in silence for almost a good 15 years witch comes and goes well its come back and im in pain i get really stiff neck when i twist my neck tensing my muscles my neck i can hear it crack and makes cracking noises but this does not happen all the time then my eyes hurt at the backs of them and to the corners of them iv had an eye test several times and there fine then i think due to the pain in my neck is causing the pain to my eyes leading pressure in my head i just want to lead a normal life i cant consentrate at all some times i get the shakes but not sure if thats down to been hungry please help id be very grateful thank you mr mellors
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 9 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

A stiff neck may also be accompanied by a headache, shoulder pain and/or arm pain, and cause the individual to turn the entire body as opposed to the neck when trying to look sideways or backwards.

Typically neck pain is not caused by anything serious – stress of one kind or another is the usual suspect, either the emotional or the physical stress is responsible. Other common cause is muscle strain.

I advice you to use Ibuprofen gel for local application. Try holding a hot water bottle or heat pack to your neck to reduce any pain and muscle spasms. Sleep on a low, firm pillow at night. Avoid using two pillows as this may force your neck to bend unnaturally. Check your posture, as this can aggravate the pain and may have caused it in the first place.

It always better to find out the underlying cause than treating the symptoms. As you have mentioned that you had this for long period, try the above mentioned conservative approach for week. If there is no improvement I advice you to XXXXXXX the Orthopedic surgeon for examination and even the physiotherapist.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Pain in neck with stiffness, cracking noises. What needs to be done ? 7 hours later
hi thank you for your speedy reply i have wrote these things down and going to see my doctor i do sleep on one pillow but the pillow does rise up to the headboard weather this is causing it im not sure but i do no my mattress is getting old and dips in the middle and this has only started again since iv swapped beds the other mattress was a lot stiffer and the pillow did not rise up towards the headboard but what i would like to say would having a stiff neck and bad head cause my eyes to hurt if so im thinking of changing the mattress etc again thank you in advance your help is truly helpful yours faithfully mr mellors
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 31 minutes later
Good to hear from you.

Sometimes eye pain may be related to the headache. As already mentioned headache may be due to neck pain.

Try not using the pillow for few days see whether it is of any help.Try follow the conservative method that has been described. I think you should be fine.

It will be great if you see a physiotherapist for some exercise and posture change which will be helpful.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.