Pain in neck and shoulder, pulsating armpit, chronic indigestion. Had UTI. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. X-ray, endoscopy normal

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
UTI in Oct. 2011 again in Dec 2012. MRI scan head, ultrasound kidneys etc, endoscope stomach, chest x-ray all clear in 2011. Since and during this episode have had continuous pain in neck & left shoulder & pulsating armpit(difficult to sleep on) & chronic indigestion for the pass 10 weeks. Exhausted all the time and could easily sleep all day. The hospital doctors have diagnosed Fibromyalgia however my local surgery have No knowledge of Fibro. Numerous medications have made no difference to the intolerable pain I'm suffering. Having difficulty know persuading them it's not
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

I will try my best to help you out

We will take care of issues one by one :
1] Recurrent UTI - Is it still there or cured ?

2] All reports are normal - So the pathology is ruled out

3] Coming to Fibromayalgia :

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain, stiffness, and tenderness of the muscles, tendons, and joints.

Fibromyalgia is also characterized by restless sleep, awakening feeling tired, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression, and disturbances in bowel function.

Fibromyalgia does not cause body damage or deformity.

Fatigue occurs in 90% of patients with fibromyalgia.

Your symptoms are pointing to the diagnosis of FibroMyalgia

To manage Fibromyalgia follow these instructions :

1] Reduce and Manage Stress - the key factor
2] Exercise daily
3] Avoid Alcohol and Coffee
4] I reassure about its harmlessness
5] Medication like Pregabalin will help relieve symptoms- Let your doctor prescribe it with right dosage.

Do revert back for any followup queries

Get Well Soon.

Follow-up: Pain in neck and shoulder, pulsating armpit, chronic indigestion. Had UTI. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. X-ray, endoscopy normal 29 minutes later
The UTi has cleared up. Hypothectical question. If I was not diagnosed with fibromylagia what else could it be?

Hi

Thanks for posting your query

With all possible reports turning out to be normal and pathology ruled out, fibromyalgia is the only diagnosis which will come to mind

Had I been your doctor I would have clinically judged out and treated you, unfortunately the more you go in to investigations the more this entity gets confused

So a word of caution do not ponder or go for self medication and multiple opinions, it will help you get well soon

Hope all clear

Get Well Soon