Pain in neck and chest. Diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. Veins in hands are more visible. Reason?

Geriatrics Specialist
All evening Ive been feeling pain in my neck and slightly in my chest, but I figured it was because of tension in my jaw from anxiety. I went to get ready for bed and when I bent my left arm up there was pain and tightness on the inside of my elbow, and my vein was very visible. I kept getting ready for bed and then felt pain and tightness in my left hand, and looked and the vein there is also very visible. Looking closer a lot of the veins in my hands and wrists are much more visible than normal. What could cause this? Oh, also I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I know that some of my hormones are off. I dont know if thats relevant.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us

Experiencing generalized pain (all over the neck ,left arm, elbow , wrist etc.) and associated visible veins (varicose veins) are likely to be inter related.

The pain during enlarged veins are due to the result of the stagnation or pooling of blood, in and around the area, resulting decreased supply of oxygen to the nearby tissue, resulting pain.
It is advisable to go through a tissue level oxygen saturation test to know the level of tissue saturation and proceed with the results. Doppler study of veins helps to know the condition of vessels.

As your medical history reveals you are a chronic fatigue syndrome person, you will experience malaise after exertion; widespread muscle and joint pain. So you naturally experience immense pain than normal individual from mild exertion, that might also be the reason behind your painful upper limb.

If your symptoms are worsening further, immediately get a proper examination by a physician and get treated accordingly.

Take care and let me know of your future questions in your mind.