Pain in neck and back, headache. Low hum in ears. Need to get rid of it

Jun 2015

I had the flu. Not stomach.... Then when I was almost better got severe pain in neck and back. This lasted for 4 days with pain meds. Then was only a masty headache. That was almost gone now my ears have a low hum all the time. Drivimg me crazy. Must get rid of hum. Help
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

The low humming sound you are experiencing in your ears is known as Tinnitus.

In your post, you have mentioned that you had flu (upper respiratory tract infection)
There is a connecting tract (known as Eustachian tube) between the nasopharynx & middle ear through which infection can spread to ear.
This may be a reason for your symptoms.

Other causes of tinnitus are:
1. Exposure to loud noise
2. Inflammation of inner ear or the Nerve associated with hearing
3. Systemic conditions like fluctuating blood pressure & blood glucose levels, etc
4. Intake of certain medications: even Naproxen can cause Tinnitus as a side effect.

Symptoms like humming in the ear may last even after the infection has been cured because the damaged structures in the ear need time to recover.
And the duration will depend upon the severity of damage.

If the symptoms are caused due to any inflammation, then corticosteroids might be needed to control it.

So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist & get a proper examination done to find out the exact cause.

Investigations like Audiometry, Eustachian function test & estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels will be helpful.

Appropriate management steps will be taken based on complete history, physical examination & co-relating the findings with investigation reports.

Till then, maintain adequate hydration & take a healthy balanced diet.
Avoid cold food & drinks, smoking and alcohol.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.