Pain in neck and back. Started having dizzy spells after medication. How long it takes for cure?

Question
I was in a an auto accident two weeks ago. My doc has prescribed muscle relaxant and strong pain meds for my neck and back pain. Now, I am having dizzy spells and am afraid to drive. How long can these spells last as I am self employed and want to return to work?

Can this dizziness last for a long period even though I was not visibly hurt during the collision.? I have a customer who suffers from such a condition even though he was in an auto accident six months ago.

My doc informed me to rest and said that he will be ordering an MRI or Cat scan if needed.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 41 minutes later

Sometimes without actual external injury, XXXXXXX structures might get injured.In your cases particularly one needs to evaluate middle ear structures which play role in maintaining body balance.

I would suggest you to go ahead with CAT scan of temporal bone that is middle ear.
Many times injury to semicircular canals is cause of such symptoms.

Hope this helps.Regards.

Follow-up: Pain in neck and back. Started having dizzy spells after medication. How long it takes for cure? 7 hours later
As requested earlier, how long [ days,weeks or months] can my dizzy spells last as I am afraid to drive?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later
If there is middle ear structures injury then you can have dizziness or feeling imbalance even for months to years also.So evaluation and appropriate treatment is highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Pain in neck and back. Started having dizzy spells after medication. How long it takes for cure? 19 hours later
Would you recommend an MRI or Cat Scan and if so, which one of the two will be better to identify the problem? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 hours later
Actually both have there benefits. But initially I would like to go with multislice CT scan.