Pain in my upper abdomen under rib cage. Feels like soreness. Drinking wine. Related?

General Surgeon
I have been having pain in my upper abdomen, left side mostly, just under my rib cage. It also presents in the middle and sometimes to the right, but only very mildly. It is not severe, but feels like soreness. It is not related to exercise. It did appear after I was drinking a few glasses of wine. I tend to have several glasses a week. Not sure if this is related.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Stomach is present in the middle of upper part of abdomen.Upper part of the stomach, fundus,is located in the left upper part.So,gastritis of that area can cause pain below the left rib cage.
It can radiate to the middle,back also. Wine may also cause gastritis.
So,i prescribe Rabeprazole with antispasmodic tablets to my patients with similar complaints.
If there is no response,i prefer Upper GI endoscopy,Ultrasound abdomen to rule out intra abdominal problem.
If all the investigations are normal,then it could be musculoskeletal have to use skeletal muscle relaxant tablets.
If you have any query,i will clarify further
Wish you good health.