Pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. What could be done?

i have a dull pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. It has persited for quite some time - maybe 2 years. But it does seem to be more intense and constant now.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to evaluate this further

Detailed Answer:

This is a very vague symptom and causes may range from trivial to serious. But as it has increased in intensity now, I would suggest to get it evaluated. A thorough physical examination followed by simple tests like blood work and ultrasound abdomen may rule out many things.

Some possibilities seen commonly in the clinic are- colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, bladder stones or infection or even spine problems.
Cancer may be one of the differentials but as it has persisted for 2 years without any other sinister symptoms, possibility is low.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.

Follow-up: Pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. What could be done? 2 hours later
Is my general MD qualified to evaluate or should i try to get in to a specialist ?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Initial evaluation by your family doctor is fine

Detailed Answer:
If he or she feels you need specialist opinion then you may go for it.