Pain in middle back, groin, buttocks and legs, urge to urinate, numbness in toes, compressed thecal sac. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a laminectomy 2 years ago on L2-3 and the pain never went away. i was able to walk better though. Now pain is intense and I have pain in middle back, groin butt, legs, and feet. Feels like I have to pee alot and I do not have to. Numbness is in my right 2 toes of my right foot. I know my thecal sac is compressed to 8mm at L4-5 and 7mm at L3-4 and have herniated L3-4 L4-5 and T6-7.Also have congenital stenosis and arthritis. What can be done?
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
Your symptoms are likely to be due to the compression of nerve root fibers due to herniated discs.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.