Pain in lower right side, taking cipro for diverticulitis, pinkish vaginal discharge

I am 66 years old, 5'6, 167 lbs. I started cipro yesterday for diverticulitis, but am wondering now if that is what I have. Pain in lower right side, 100 deg fever last night,none today. But I am now having a pinkish vaginal discharge. I have not had any type of discharge in years. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 12 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 54 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Presence of fever, right lower abdominal pain could be due to a number of conditions including : -

1. Appendicitis : this condition is associated with severe pain and high grade fever. but it still needs to be ruled out.

2. Diverticulitis : inflammation of the diverticuli arising from the right sided colon can also present in this pattern of symptoms.

3. Salpingitis , Cervicitis or Pelvic inflammatory disease :- Sudden onset of pinkish vaginal discharge without prior history could be a indicator of inflammation of the fallopian tubes or cervicitis.

For proper diagnosis and specific treatment, 'imaging studies' including a ultrasound of the pelvis or a CT of the abdomen might be necessary.

You might consult your OBGYN doctor or your primary care physician for a examination and proper management of your condition.

I hope this answers your questions adequately.

In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr Anvekar.