Pain in lower right and upper back, bulging discs in lower back. Any ideas ?

I have ongoing pain in my lower right back in or just above buttock and also pain in upper back also on right . I have a bulging disc in my lower back but not sure where exactly (am due to see a specialist in 3 weeks) but this pain is really bothering me and i also am due to get a colonoscopy soon any ideas
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Follow-up: Pain in lower right and upper back, bulging discs in lower back. Any ideas ? 1 hour later
I will be seeing an orthapaedic surgeon in 3 weeks for my disc but would a rheumatologist be better?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would suggest you apply some Diclofenac gel(pain relief gel) ,just apply it gently on the back, do not massage into it.After 15 minutes, apply hot fomentation to the area.Do this three times a day. If the pain is not relieved, you could try Tylenol 500mg for pain relief.

Do not lift heavy weights /or do any strenuous activity which will increase the stress on the back. Maintain good posture.

I would say it is better to visit an orthopaedic surgeon .

Hope this helps.I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan