Pain in lower pelvis, weight gain, stomach bloating, nausea, limping, leg aching, prominent vessels in adnexae, no cysts. Had pelvic prolapse operation

Question
Hi, I am a 34 year old female. I have had constant dull pain/pressure in my lower right pelvis for 5 weeks. I think I might have gained 2 kilos during this and stomach bloated. Started out as excrutiating pain travelling to my lower back where I felt nauseas for days and pain relief didn't help. Now it is just nagging pressure and sore when I lean over. However when doctor checked stomach it wasn't tender to touch. It is there when I am laying down, sitting, walking and sometimes it causes me to limp for very short periods. Sometimes my leg is aching too. I had ultrasound but only thing it picked up was prominent vessels in my adnexae. No cysts. I had a pelvic prolapse operation 5 months ago and tubes clipped last year.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to have some additional information.
1.When was your last menstrual period?
3.Any history of associated vomiting or fever?
4. Are your bowel habits normal?Any diarrhoea/constipation? History of passing pellet like or ribbony stools? Any alteration in bowel habits?
5.Any history of swelling in the lower abdomen that appears on coughing and disappears on lying down?
6.Any history of burning while urination or increased frequency of urination?

Possibilities in your case include appendicitis, kidney stones, ectopic pregnancy, inguinal hernia, gas trapped in the bowel.

The leg pain could be attributed to the incompetent valve in right leg.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you drink plenty of warm water and fluids. Give a trial of Gas X(simethicone) one tab after meals three times a day for 2 days.Might help relieve the bloating sensation, if the pain is due to trapped wind. Also avoid foods that cause excessive gas like pulses, carbonated beverages, XXXXXXX fried/fatty foods,cabbage,beans,broccoli,brussel sprouts.

These are the investigations that I would suggest:
1.Complete blood picture-which includes WBC count to rule out an active infection.
2.Urine routine and microscopy- to look for evidence of urinary tract infection.

Awaiting your reply.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Pain in lower pelvis, weight gain, stomach bloating, nausea, limping, leg aching, prominent vessels in adnexae, no cysts. Had pelvic prolapse operation 11 hours later
I have regular menstruation, last started 2nd XXXXXXX
No vomiting or fever
Bowel habits fine
No swelling. Little bit of fluid retention in my lower abdomen and right thigh.
I got checked also for chest infection for one and a half weeks which I have also taken antibiotics for.
The incompetent valve is around calf area. Yet pain in thigh.

Thank you for your advice. I am starting to wonder if my operation for pelvic floor prolapse has possibly failed. I thought if I had some type of infection then the antibiotics I have been on would have helped.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 45 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your reply.

Kindly follow the following measures:
Drink plenty of warm water and fluids. Give a trial of Gas X(simethicone) one tab after meals three times a day for 2 days.Might help relieve the bloating sensation, if the pain is due to trapped wind. Also avoid foods that cause excessive gas like pulses, carbonated beverages, XXXXXXX fried/fatty foods,cabbage,beans,broccoli,brussel sprouts.

I don't think your operation for pelvic floor prolapse has failed. Sometimes after pelvic or abdominal surgeries , ADHESIONS are bound to develop in most patients, but do not produce symptoms in all. Probably your dull aching pain in your pelvis could be due to adhesions .Try taking some over the counter medication for pain relief.

Please visit your physician immediately, if you have persistent severe abdominal pain, abdominal distension, fever, light headedness,continuous vomiting or blood in the vomitus.

Hope I have answered your question.Do get back to me if you have further queries.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan