Pain in lower back radiating to heel and toe. Get pins and needles feeling. EMG and CT Scan normal

Nov 2013

I am having pain in my lower back that radiates down my left leg into my heal and big toe. I get pins and needles feeling. I had an EMG but it came back with nothing wrong. I have had a CT scan which does not show any nerve compression. What could be causing this really awful pain? The take away all the pain. It also does not stop me from falling. I have tripped several times because of not being able to feel the ground.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are suggestive of nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your symptoms have not resolved despite fusion, spinal cord stimulator and medications.

Your symptoms are suggestive of lumbo-sacral radiculopathy, which is most commonly caused by a pinched nerve at the back.

I know that CT scan was normal, however, it should be noted that CT scan is not the best imaging modality for detecting nerve compression. MRI of the spine is better in that aspect. MRI can show the discs and nerves with more clarity.
As of now, treatment options including increasing the dose of lyrica and epidural injections.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,