Pain in lower back, joints, neck, shoulder. Even slight movement yields immense pain. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My name is Subodh Pandey . I am 46 years old with height of 176 cms and weight 80 kg. I have no medical history and have no ailments till now except that if i bent for more than 2 to 3 minutes or stand for more than an hour , i feel pain in the lower back at joints where vertebral column ends.
However , since last 2 days i had pain in the neck and then it travelled to left shoulder and to left side of the back . The upper left side of the back has become very stiff around an area and slight body movement is causing pain. Today the problem seems to have aggravated and neck & back pain has incresed . Slight movement of neck is causing immense pain on the left of the upper back side . I have experienced very mild pain of this nature in the past also but it was not that painful and subsided in a day . Kindly advice treatment and something to control pain.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your question.

The symptoms suggest that a Spondylosis change is taking place in your spine. The primary symptoms like in your case is pain in back or neck, radiating to shoulders or arms and associated with tingling numbness to end with.

In case it seems to have aggravated recently that means something in your routine is not appropriate like posture in sleep or working on computer, way of lifting things or driving etc. You have to carefully monitor here onwards, things you do consciously and subconsciously and find the causative factor.

Having done that, we shall think of preventing its future relapses. The measures one needs to follow are-

1. Always sit in an upright posture. If working on computers adjust screen level to comfort.
2. Stop using pillow if you use one.
3. Take frequent stretch breaks at work.
4. Go to a physiotherapist near you and take cervical traction for a week along with local ultrasonic therapy at your convenience. Also learn neck isometric exercises that you must do once the pain subsides completely.
5. Last and most important, take adequate rest. If working is imperative then use a soft cervical collar for few days. Avoid forward bending as much as possible.

We shall not prescribe medicines in our service, so kindly visit your physician if the pain is unbearable. You might be required to take an X-ray or MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) for aiding the diagnosis. In my opinion you must try getting rid of this situation without medicines as far as possible, and exercises are the only long term solution to this.

I hope this helped you and if you need more help, I'm available for follow up query.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.