Pain in lower back after sneezing and coughing. Underlying cause?

Question
Hello, I have a sharp and intense pain in my right mid to lower back after sneezing or coughing, could you please enlighten me? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: cause is simple Detailed Answer: Hey XXXXXXX Hope you are doing fine. The cause for this pain is simple. Either it is due to a recurring kidney stone or this could be due to muscle sprain that is induced by the sneezing or coughing. In severe cases, this can lead to abdominal hernia. I would suggest you do not strain much while sneezing or coughing. You need to support the back area with your hand, and then sneeze or cough. Make sure there is no recurring kidney stone. Also, it is always better to lose weight to avoid such problems like hernia. In my view, there is no obvious serious medical condition behind this symptom that you are facing. So, you may relax. Let me know if you have more queries. Regards,

Follow-up: Pain in lower back after sneezing and coughing. Underlying cause? 24 minutes later
Is there any therapy that can be done to relieve this sharp pain when you cough or sneeze?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: ice packs, back support, muscle relaxants Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You could use local ice packs on the areas of pain to get relief. Local muscle relaxant drugs like Chlorzoxazone can help too. To prevent this pain, support your back with your hands while you sneeze or cough to prevent straining on the muscles. Hope this answers your query. regards,

Follow-up: Pain in lower back after sneezing and coughing. Underlying cause? 4 minutes later
Thanks, how long is the pain likely to last?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: depends on the cause Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX If it is due to muscle sprain, it would not last longer than a few minutes. If it is due to the recurrent kidney stone, then it may last longer for several minutes to an hour. Take care!

Follow-up: Pain in lower back after sneezing and coughing. Underlying cause? 12 minutes later
With a muscle sprain of this type, how long would it normally take to heal; or before there is less pain when you sneeze or cough?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: not more than a few days Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX If it were due to muscle sprain, it should not last more than a few days, and it should vanish completely with adequate rest not to return again.

Many thanks.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are welcome anytime. Regards,

Follow-up: Pain in lower back after sneezing and coughing. Underlying cause? 8 hours later
Can I ask; how did you get such good English literacy skills? Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later
Brief Answer: I love the language Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I love the language English; it's my passion to learn. I learn everyday :) Thanks for asking me though. Hope you are feeling better now with the pain. Take care!