Pain in lower abdomen post jumping. pain on movement, sneezing, coughing. symptoms of nausea, lack of sleep. Treatment for abdominal pain ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
After jumping at a bounce funplex with my nephews for 1.5 hrs on Monday (today is Thursday), I'm experiencing a lot of pain in my lower abdomen. It hurts worst when I just stand up and start to walk or when I yell, cough, or sneeze. I can barely breathe when I first start walking after sitting a while, the pain is so bad. At first, I thought it was just sore muscles from the new exercise. But now I'm not so sure. I've been feeling very tired, but not sleeping well, nauseated at night and in the morning, and I get sick at certain smells or foods. Could these symptoms be associated?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later

The most likely cause of the pain in lower abdomen aggravated after sitting or with sneezing seems to be due to the sore muscles . But it is always best to rule out any intra-abdominal pathologies with the help of a proper clinical examination and investigations like ultrasound under the guidance of your physician.

The other symptoms of tiredness and nausea might be suggestive of pregnancy (if your periods are overdue) or due to a generalized viral syndrome.

Mild bruising of the gut due to injury while playing might also be responsible for these symptoms.

Right now you can take antiemetics like domperidone (Tablet Bonine) twice a day and see if the symptoms improve.

If the symptoms do not improve and pregnancy is ruled out then you need to consult your physician for further evaluation.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Pain in lower abdomen post jumping. pain on movement, sneezing, coughing. symptoms of nausea, lack of sleep. Treatment for abdominal pain ? 8 hours later
Today, the pain in my lower stomach is considerably better than yesterday, so I suppose it was just sore muscles.

However, I have lower back pain and am still very tired. I took a 2.5 hour nap yesterday, slept in until 10 a.m. today (which is very late for me) and I still feel tired after running errands all morning.

I'm not sure if it could be pregnancy. My fiance and I have a long-distance relationship so we don't see each other very often...maybe once a month for a few days. When we are together, we use the pull-out method for birth control. That has worked for us for the past year. However, on my last trip down there Oct. 11-15, he wasn't so sure that he pulled out in time a few times and on the 13th, he for sure didn't. I took a Plan B One step pill 24 hours later. I got a "period" on the 21st of October that only lasted a few days and was very very light and was early. I know that Plan B messes with your period, but is it possible that I could have gotten pregnant and the "period" I got was just the effects of the pill?

Today I'm having pains in my stomach and back that are similar to cramping. I suppose it could also just be the effects of the Plan B One Step. If I were to test, when could I test? My last period before the pill was September 23rd.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Pull out method is not an effective contraceptive technique. Even the initial secretions from the penis do contain some sperms.

Your period was light, lasting for few days could be due to hormonal disturbances following plan B use. But pregnancy needs to ruled out. You can do the urine for pregnancy test now.

If pregnancy is ruled out, it is probably muscle sore or viral syndrome causing the symptoms.

Consuming plenty of water, plenty of fruits / vegetables and proper sleep will help you in relieving your symptoms.

Hope my answer is helpful.