Pain in lower abdomen and hip, constipation. Pap test showing yellowish discharge. Have Pelvic inflammatory disease. Not feeling better after taking Cefoxitin, doxycyclin

I'm a 33 year old female. I've been having groin pain, lower back pain, hip pain, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, constipation and thin stools. Had a pelvic exam and experienced pain when pressed on my right side and doctor found green/yellowish discharge during pap test. Was diagnosed with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and had my copper IUD removed. Had taken a full course of antibiotics, Cefoxitin for one day, Doxycycline and Metronidazole for ten days and am not feeling better. I also had blood tests to check for infection and the results were all normal.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 50 minutes later

From the details that you have shared and treatment given, your doctor seems to be right and you seem to be having Pelvic Inflammatory disease. The treatment given to you is also proper and selection of drugs by your doctor is also good.

It is good that IUD was removed,that is needed.

Typically in a Young female having lower abdominal pain, discharge per vagina and having pain on local examination is strongly suggestive of PID.

It is unfortunate that you have not responded to the treatment given.At times just extending the course of drugs take care of the problem and nothing else needs to be done.

In case of no response, you need some more investigation like ultrasound abdomen to see any missing diagnosis.

Please visit your doctor and discuss with him.

Other possibilities could be,

>Resistant organism not responding antibiotic given
>Some infection in G.I.tract
>Excessive formation of gas, indigestion etc.

In mean time please try following,

Take light diet
Plenty of fluids
Take proper rest
Take antispasmodic tablets for pain
Avoid junk food and cold drinks

Please visit your doctor again and discuss with him. You can even take a opinion from a physician also.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.