Pain in lower abdomen and blood in stool. Any treatment?

General Surgeon
I have pain in lower right abdomen and blood in my stool
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lower right abdomen pain if appeared recently, should be always ruled out with appendicitis. Especially if the pain has started in the middle abdomen and after few hours has migrated to the lower right abdomen. Nausea and vomiting can appear with appendicitis.
Blood in stool can be caused by hemorrhoids (fresh, bright red blood on the surface of the stool), inflammatory bowel disease (mixed red blood in the stool, mucus in the stool, diarrheas), rectal polyps or colon cancer (blood mixed with the stool, usually bright red, constipations and.or diarrheas, abdominal pain, weight lost, tiredness).
If your pain is there for some time now, your blood is mixed with the stool, you should have colonoscopy performed. Before that, abdominal ultrasound, full blood work should be also performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Pain in lower abdomen and blood in stool. Any treatment? 46 minutes later
The pain stated in lower right abdomen to start with not in any other section woke up with itearly this is also bright red blood mixed in stool. I am also having major fed flushing over my face and down my neck is all this conected.also my mom has carconoid syndrome as well as carconoid tumors in both lungs.could these be early warning signs of abdominal carconoids? The right side has been off and on over last couple of years but now a every day pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

In some rare syndromes carcinoid can be hereditary. Such syndrome is MEN-1 witch is associated with hyperparathyroidism, pancreas tumors and some other like carcinoids. If your mom has carcinoid diagnosed in age 40 or earlier, MEN-1 is possible, otherwise carcinoid is rather not associated with hereditary syndrome. If you suspect this syndrome, genetics tests should be performed. With MEN1 very characteristic is hypercalcemia (high calcium blood level). So if you have noticed it in some previous blood tests, this can be it.
Flushing over the face can be a symptoms of carcinoid. It gives also diarrheas and the face usually gets really red.
Your flushing can be also caused by anxiety.
What is really neglecting is the blood in stool. You should definitely start with colonoscopy to rule any tumors out. If no findings, you can start thinking about all other reasons including carcinoid.

Follow-up: Pain in lower abdomen and blood in stool. Any treatment? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your advice.the pain seems to worsen after I eat or drink.I will be putting a call into my family Dr or would I be better to call a GI once again thank you for your time. ShannaFaye
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
You are welcome.

Just note that this symptoms does not say that you have a cancer and the colonoscopy can come back negative. But the blood in stool symptom is always something that should be verified.
GI consult sees more advisable.

Hope this will help.