Pain in lower L5 bone, seems bulged, radiates to thighs and legs. What should be done ?

Hello Doctor
I have been having a lower back pain for around 4-5 yrs now. During the initial period I consulted one doctor and as per him i was having the pain in L5 bone and probably there has been a gap between the bones at that area. I used to have a belt around by back for that and the pain has minimized a lot. However for the last 3-4 months i am having a lot of pain while i sit or sleep at the last bone of the backbone and i seem to be buldge down in my posture. The pain usually increases a lot and comes down towards by thighs and feet. Would request you to please suggest what should i do?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Abid 21 minutes later
Hi there....

And sorry to hear about your problem.

As you mentioned you have chronic backache and now pain radiates down to feet and thigh ,it is highly likely that you have pinched nerve. I hope you are able to hold stool and urine for sometime, else this can turn into emergency.

You should XXXXXXX a Spine Surgeon and probably need MRI of the Lumbosacral spine. The changes are more evident in this test. 90% of such problems are treated with conservative therapy in a young male like you.

A proper follow up with doctor, pain medication, exercise (recommended by neuro physiotherapist) and lifestyle changes can bring back your quality of life. However I insist on Spine Surgeon opinion before you start the above measures.

Regards and best wishes.