Pain in limbs, numbness, high blood pressure, MRI and blood test normal. History of tooth decay and Meth program

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My Daughter (Age 27) has extreme pain in her hands and feet (it's increasing). She is also numb over 75% of her body. She is running very high High Blood Pressure and is only 102 pounds.

Currently she is in the hospital (4th day) and they are running out of option. they have done MRIs of her entire spin (4 sets that shoe nothing), Electric nerve tests (completely failed), Numerous blood tests (all negative - Including Sickle Cell, Lyme's, Mercury), a XXXXXXX antibiotic treatment. She is on pain medication and has to be carried to the bathroom.

Past history - Meth program for 6 years (got off it 1 year ago)
Severe Tooth decay - all remove 4 weeks ago (just before this started)

The hospital and neurologist is talking about just sending her to hospice to manage the pay medication. They don't know what to check next.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 hours later
Hi there.

Has she had pain over her entire body before ?

Any weakness of her specific body parts like arms, legs, face etc. ?

Has she had fever, loose stools, giddiness, ringing sensation in ears, visual disturbances ?

Any mood changes, decreased concentration and attention span, reduced memory ?

It is possible that her condition could be related to high blood pressure due to meth use. This could have caused Thalamic infarct which can explain the severe pain over hands and feet. Also pain may come over entire body.

Other causes could be Multiple sclerosis, Pellagra due to Niacin or Vitamin B3 deficiency, and other neurological degenerative diseases.

Usually diagnosing neurological diseases rests mainly in the MRI but if the MRI was clear, it becomes difficult to find the cause. Kindly discuss with the Doctor about Multiple Sclerosis and Pellagra as well as other degenerative diseases.

Now the prime aim is to keep her blood pressure stable. Feed her proper nutritious balanced diet. Keep her well hydrated. Avoid long positions of her on the bed, keep changing her position on the bed to avoid bed sores. Avoid wetting of the bed clothes which she lies on, to avoid bed sores and skin infections.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.