Pain in legs, lower back and bloated stomach. What could be wrong?

Question
I started having pain in my legs (burning and sore). This pain starts in my lower back and goes down to my feet. I am extremely tired and continue having pains (similar to menstral cramps for the past 2 months), my stomach looks like I am 5 months pregnant and I am not. I am very active and eat healthy and this pain has limited my exercise. I am a runner and have no known injury. Thank You I am wanting to know why I am having so much pain in my legs and why my stomach is so swollen. All of my blood work has come back good with the exception of Progressive Systemic sclerosis
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Lumbar/sacral review, xrays, ct scan, MRI Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The pain you describe, back pain radiating to the legs suggests a problem with nerve compression at the level of your back or the lumbar/sacral region. It might be important to know that the nerve supply to the lower limbs originates from the lumbar and sacral regions (lower back) before branching into the lower limbs. A problem at the level of the back, especially accompanied by either trauma, compression or some irritation of these nerves at this region shall for sure have repercussions at the level of the lower limbs. Part of the motor supply to the intestines comes also from this area. It is therefore not rare to find out that the constipation experienced or stomach swelling could also have this region at its origin. It is imperative to have X rays of the lumbar sacral spine, a CT scan amd a Magnetic Rasonance Imaging, MRI done. These results coupled with a carefully carried out neurological examination, should give clear and useful ideas on cause and management of these symptoms. Tumors, disc problems, trauma, infections are common causes of these symptoms. I strongly suggest you book an appointment with a neurosurgeon fro his opinion. Thanks and kind regards. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns., I would be glad to make my humble contributions. progressive systemic sclerosis could partly explain the swollen stomach. This should however be a very very slow process, and from the description, it is difficult to actually ascribe this to this condition. Kind regards, DR Bain