Pain in legs from hips to knees. Having sciatica. Suggest a solution

Hi doctor, I have a problem called sharatica. I have pain in my leg from hips till knees.. can you suggest the solution. it is been 3 years with this problem and it stops and again starts.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should get evaluated and get diagnosis & treat Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX......, Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic! You seem to be having some neurological problem as a cause for your symptoms unless proven otherwise. The backache radiating to buttocks and thigh and knee indicates a serious local cause affecting the spine. It can be a sciatica or disc prolapse related issue. You should get a thorough physical and neurological examination by a neurologist and get investigated to point out the exact diagnosis. You would need CT/MRI spine as suggested after the examination and follow the advise accordingly. Meanwhile you should avoid awkward postures, should use a hard bed for lying down, use local pain killer spray like one containing diclofenac gel. If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you. Wish you a great health!