Pain in legs. Red and swollen to touch. Cannot walk and feeling needles in finger tips. Low on potassium and have high BP. What to do?

for the last 2 years, I have had a pain in my legs and then that pain will get worse in my feet, anckles are red swollen to
touch, my legs get red rash on the leg that started with the pain, it will get so swollen and painfull I eventually can't walk.
to get relief I have to stay in bed for a week-end. It shifts from on leg to another and sometimes my finger tips will start
throbbing and feel like needles are in my finger tips and get so painful I could cry. It is happening more often. After the
swollen goes down I'm left with traces of blotchy red skin on my feet, ankles and legs. I have had blood test done and
even been to the ER, Dr. said I was low on potassium, another said I had a Blood disease and another contradicted the
blood diseases. I'm 57 and can't go through this any longer. It seems if I'm up late or working longer hours automatically
the symptoms are back again. Help me what can I do, what is wrong with me. I have high blood pressure for years and
have taken medication for it for over 5 years.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem swelling of ankles with rash along with pain and swelling in fingers suggest that some kind of autoimmune phenomenon may be going on . Other disease like sacoidosis may result in such symptoms .

Thus it wll be very difficult to say anything based on these symptoms only but we can discuss the possibilities . In my opinion you should see a rheumatologist , a blood workup with routine blood counts , ESR , CRP , ANA , ENA Profile , HLA B 27 may be required according to the detailed history . Physical examintion of joints and rash is required to reach to any conclusion .

In my opinion it is less likely to be blood disorder but needs investigations . You need to seek medical advise at earliest . Calcium and vitamin D deficiency also needs to be seen .

Dr. Shruti