Pain in left side of throat. What is it?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Hi I am having very bad pain in left side of my throat. whenever I swallow I get this pain since yesterday. there is a lot of Snot coming out of my throat... especially when I am slept the snot is more in throat. I am afraid what it is? I am gargling every hour. feel like something sitting there in left side of my throat. I have cold but not cough. Please help me with this. its first time I am having this problem with too much snot in throat. Thanks
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be an infection

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

First of all let me assure you that you may just be suffering from a mild respiratory infection and that is nothing to worry about.
Your symptoms also point to the same thing including the throat pain and foreign body sensation.

You need to do the following immediately:
1. Take only warm fluids and do salt water gargle at least twice a day for at least one week.
2. If the pain is vey severe i would usually start a pain killer like acetaminophen along with a broad spectrum antibiotic like amoxycillin-clavulanate. Your doctor will know about these.
3. Avoid anything cold, oily and spicy
4. With these your problem of too much snot in the throat will also become better. This maybe excess phlegm or reflex or due to infection per say
5.Also start an anti reflux medication like pantoprazole in consultation with your doctor.
6. Wait for four to five days and if the pain persists then you need to get a throat swab and an upper GI endoscopy and get back to me or any ENT with the reports.

You will definitely feel better in a couple of days so do not worry

Hope your doubts are clear and i would be happy to answer any more

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Pain in left side of throat. What is it? 38 minutes later
thank you Sir..much relieved.. I will definately buy these tabs now and start dosage..I will keep you posted...thanks again...
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

My pleasure and remember that you should not strain when you speak for a week

Take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan