Pain in left side of chest spreads to shoulder. Underlying causes?

Have pain in left side of my chest, at times pain spreads to shoulder as well. Since a week I have this pain and its every now & then. I havent taken any medication & no allergies too.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for cardiac checking.

Detailed Answer:

Chest pain can be a serious condition,as the differentials can vary from mild muscular pain to heart problems.

I will advise you to consult a doctor as soon as possible to organise ECG of the heart to rule out cardiac cause of your pain.

The other causes like acidity, gastritis etc. can also cause chest pain, but it is very important to rule out cardiac cause before going for any medicines.

Please let me know if you need more information.