Pain in left ankle. What does it indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Doctor,
For past couple of weeks, I have mild pain in my left ankle to be more precise on the heel area. It is most often felt while walking. And it is only on left heel. Please advise me the measures to be taken. Thank you in the meanwhile.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be due to plantar fasciitis.

Detailed Answer:
From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia.
It hurts the most with the first few steps in the morning because the plantar fascia is tight and has not stretched out yet, and throughout the day it loosens up. The best thing you can do is when you wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed and taking a step, give yourself a little foot rub.

There are many things you can try to help your foot get better:

Give your feet a rest. Cut back on activities that make your feet hurt. Try not to walk or run on hard surfaces.

Use shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole.

Do toe stretches, calf stretches and towel stretches several times a day, especially when you first get up in the morning.

To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.
A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Cortisone injection is a good mid to long term treatment.
Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia.
If the pain is not responding to these modalities even after 6 weeks, a local steroid injection at the site might be helpful in relieving the pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.