Pain in knees due to uncomfortable shoes. Took advil. Not helping. Had a gout incident. What can I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have pain above both knees which has not subsided in 10 days. I am not sure what to do...

I think the pain might have started from walking with hard uncomfortable office shoes dailly about 1hr each day. the lower part of my foot (sole of foot) got stiff many times and i couldnt wait to get home to replace the shoes...

two days before i had to travel i woke up at 5am with pain in my left knee and had to massage it to be able to bend it... it was ok after 30minutes. two days later i travelled and the pain in the knees started. Its does not feel like bone pain but more like a heavy weight on both knees. the muscles of my entire legs seems stiff. the pain from day to day would alternate from one leg to the other... the pain subsides when i rest and put my feet up but not always. The pain starts when i am standing more than 5minutes or when Im walking... I feel good when i stetch but after im done warm pain sinks in... I just took my first Advil and intend to go see a physician as soon as I can...

I am 30 years old in two weeks... about my history: I have had a minor lower back injury about 4 years ago... i do feel the pain every now and then but it has subsided a bit the last year and have not been getting it much... I have had one gout incident in my ankle 3 years ago... not sure if this has anything to do with it. I am fit but have not been excercising much lately except for long hours of walking and shopping.

i am very concerned since i will be getting married on XXXXXXX 21 and want to be fit for the ceremony... In my current condition i dont think i will be able to stand much... not to mention dance... I need to fix up myself quickly... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your help!
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The minor problem in your knees is likely to be related to an improper posture due to inappropriate shoes. This has lead to a persistent muscle spasm causing the discomfort.
Such minor discomfort usually resolves with adequate rest, minor pain killers like advil and a regular hot fomentation. For persistent symptoms, a combination of muscle relaxant and pain killer is preferred.

Calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely. Be careful in choosing a good pair of shoes for yourself next time.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.