Pain in knee joint and toes at night

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My knees are painful especially at night, Also, my toes ache at the joints to the foot
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Your symptoms are suggestive of osteoarthritis of the knee joint. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.

The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.

You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.

A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees. Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.

I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination and do necessary follow up.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.