Pain in knee and getting popping sound with movement. Looking for solution

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I am a 25yr old female and I am suffering on/off pain in my left leg(5+ years), it feels Like the pain is coming from my knee area.At times the only way I can describe it is like a toothache in my knee! Also my left ankle is cracking a lot when I rotate it, I almost know when it needs to crack and it relieves the pain for a split second.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

From description it seems your knee pain might be due to chondromalacia patella(patellofemoral pain).Chondromalacia patella is weakening and softening of the cartilage on the underside of the kneecap (patella).
Chondromalacia patella is one of the most common causes of knee pain, especially in women.
Treatment of patellofemoral pain often begins with simple measures. Rest your knee as much as possible. Avoid any activities that increase the pain, such as climbing stairs.Specific exercises can strengthen the muscles that support your knees and control limb alignment, such as your quadriceps, hamstrings and the muscles around your hips.

As you describe the symptoms as painless cracling sound when you rotate your ankle, I do not think we have any reasons to worry.

Sometimes as a normal phenomena, fluid (synovial fluid) that lubricate the joint release bubbles which pop and crackle with movement. This occurs very commonly after a period of inactivity or during certain movements. I am not sure if this is what you have, but this is my most likely explanation to your symptoms.

You don't need to worry if there is no associated joint pain; but you have to do some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrity of the joint - stronger muscle will take the weight of the joint and help to reduce the pressure on articulating surfaces, thus preventing any damage to the joint.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.