Pain in joints post dengue fever, unable to walk. On painkillers, no relief. Medication for joint pain?

My dad aged above 55 yrs. He got dengue fever in XXXXXXX 2011 after the fever he is still feeling the pains at his joints. taking pain killers but there is nouse. can't able to walk now. cn you pleasse dvise a medicine?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Arthralgias or joint pains are known to occur in dengue as well as in chickenguniya. Normally the joint pains don’t last that long in dengue. There is a possibility that he may be suffering from chickenguniya. Chickenguniya IgM and IgG helps in confirming the diagnosis.

However other causes of joint pains like Rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis should also be ruled out. These possibilities can be ruled out by investigations like ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-Reactive protein), RA (Rheumatoid arthritis) factor, anti CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated protein) antibodies and x-rays of the joint. Your father should consult a Rheumatologist for the same.

The treatment of chickenguniya comprises of NSAID’s (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and application of local analgesic gels. In some cases, where the pain is severe, steroids may be required.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.