Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain in jaw bones. X-ray showed bent wisdom tooth , which was removed by surgery. Have pain and swelling. Cancer?

Excellent

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question
I have had pain in my jaw bone on the right side at a single point. there was no pain in gums or teeth. Only at the point where jaw bone curve starts (not in the joint).
I went to a dentist and he did XRay of my last 3 teeth and told that the wisdom tooth is bent and has to be removed. It was removed 4 days back using an extraction surgery. I have stitches in my mouth now.
Now my mouth is swelled and there is pain at many places. I understand that this might be because of the surgery.
My only concern is, if this can be sign of jaw bone cancer. Also, I had gone to an ENT and he checked thoroughly my tonsils etc and said there is nothing in it.
I had a brain MRI done for cervical spine pain 2 weeks back. It showed nothing in Pain. I I had jaw cancer, would it have shown in that MRI?

I am just worried because one of my friend's relative suffered jaw pain and was diagnosed with Jaw cancer.

Please suggest.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

As you mentioned that xray of the jaw bone, an mri have been done and nothing has been detected even after clinical examination by the dentist as well as the ENT. I feel that you should not worry over it. Usually if its a bone/jaw cancer something can be ideally seen in the investigations which you have gotten done.

If its a soft tissue cancer of the oral cavity then also a thorough clinical examination can detect it.
About swelling and discomfort, usually a surgical extraction of an impacted tooth takes longer to heal than 4 days, almost 15 days which may be the cause of your jaw pain.

I am sure you will feel better soon.

Follow-up: Pain in jaw bones. X-ray showed bent wisdom tooth , which was removed by surgery. Have pain and swelling. Cancer? 3 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for these assuring words. It really helps. My only question still is that, the MRI was an MRI of brain. It was an MRI done of full skull with and without contrast.
So, if anything was there, it'd have shown there right?

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 8 minutes later

I feel that MRI of the jaw would have been more helpful but as you have recently gotten an impaction done I am certain your problem will resolve on its own. Jaw pain due to impacted wisdom teeth is very common. Till the time the healing occurs, I would suggest that you wait.

Follow-up: Pain in jaw bones. X-ray showed bent wisdom tooth , which was removed by surgery. Have pain and swelling. Cancer? 13 minutes later
I am attaching the reports from the scan for your reference.
Also I am attaching the report from the radiologist.
I'd really like to have a second view on these reports.

Also, what precautions should i take now after this surgery. I am almost finished with antibiotics. But, there is slight pain and feeling of stretching of muscles of face still.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

I checked your scans, everything looks alright to me. Mucosal thickenings of the sinus is very common and nothing to worry over.
After the surgery, you should do warm saline gargles 3-4 times/day and also use a good mouthwash twice daily to remove local infection. Slight pain is also normal and will go once the healing is complete. I would like you to consult your doctor 15 days post surgery for a clinical examination.
If required mild pain killers can be taken.
Wish you a speedy recovery.