Pain in inner vulva, lichen sclerosis, skin tags, inflamed follicles. Not herpes or any other STD. Is this an infection?

Hi, I have been experiencing pain in my inner vulvar are and pain towards the vaginal opening. I do not itch but it feels like I have open wounds or sores. I went to see my doctor and he said that I may have lichen sclerosis and will be tested for that. However, i woke up in the middle of the night with terrible pain that I can feel going XXXXXXX into my skin. Upon visual examination with mirror it looks like i have skin tags possibly follicles that are inflamed and very very painful to the touch. These specific areas seem to be the source of my pain. This has been going on for over a week. It is not herpes or any type of STD I can tell you that. Some days have been worse than others with the discomfort and pain.
Should I be concerned about having some kind of infection?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

What you describe does sound like a possible case of vulvovaginitis. It can happen due to an infection caused by bacteria or yeast.
The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Pain in inner vulva, lichen sclerosis, skin tags, inflamed follicles. Not herpes or any other STD. Is this an infection? 10 hours later
Dr. Tayal,

Thank you for your response. I have been following your 3 out of 4 recommendations religiously for the last year as I have been suffering from ongoing yeast infections which I finally put to rest through colon cleansing. That has saved me the last 3 weeks which is good as I would have had no recurrence as of this moment. I do feel different in a good way. This flare up has occured within the last week and a half and I have refrained from any kind of sexual activity since then. I must say, however, that I have felt this discomfort to a lesser degree in the past but I did not know what it was.

I did see my doctor today and he diagnosed me with Bartholin's cyst. He did take a culture to rule other things out? How does this occur and what can I do to prevent it from recurring? Is this going to happen to me every time I have intercourse? He prescribed Clindamycin should there be an infection and a cortisteroid that I apply to the area once a day as needed.

Do you have any other recommendations in light of this diagnosis?

This pain is excruciating and debilitating to say the least.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Bartholin's cyst is formed when a bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated, a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

It is not necessary that you will develop it after having sex. The duct can get blocked due to excessive secretions.

Doing a hot fomentation and taking a simple over the counter pain killer like will help in relieving pain and inflammation.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.