Pain in hip joints, post pregnancy, over weight, low vitamin D, on mega doses, pelvis pain. Permanent?

i am 28 and i just had a baby 6 weeks ago this was my first pregnancy he was 5lbs. i have been having pain in my hip joints since i was 5 months pregant. i thought it was because i was pregnant and the excessive weight but the pain has continued and even getting worse. its almost unbearable to bear weight when walking and hurts when going from a sitting to a standing poisition. i also thought that since my vitamin d was low and i have to take mega doses it had somehing to do with it but not sure. i will be returning to work next week which requires a lot of walking and standing what an i going to do and is this permanant. my pelvis lower abd also hurt when i sneeze. thanks
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

I would like to assure you that this will not be a permanent problem. Its a common condition where in pregnancy most of the women do experience the pains in the joints specially the weight bearing ones. This occurs most often due to loss of calcium in the bones due to hormones also due to malnutrition that occurs ( Requirements are very high ) during pregnancy or lactation.

It may take 2 to 3 months for it to get resolved when on good nutrition also can be speeded by calcium supplements like CAL-LAC 500 mg once daily after food for a month.Also you can take occasionally painkillers Ibuprofen if the pain is unbearable.

Do consume calcium XXXXXXX foods like plain Yogurt, low fat or nonfat Milk, whole
Cheese, ricotta, cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese Milk shakes etc

Since its no more than 6 weeks after pregnancy the pains can also be attributed to ligamental shear that would have occurred during the labor.Well in that case I would consider it will heal on its own when assisted with good nutrition. The time needed for the recovery will depend on the severity of the injury occurred.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.