Pain in hip bone. Had kidney stones removed. Diagnosed with colitis. What could it be?

I am 40 yr old female. I have had complete hyst. In nov I had three kidney stones removed. I never got better. I was diagnosed w/ colitis in feb of this year. I have pain on right side to the right of my hip bone. It feels stiff and sore. It only hurts when I turn or sit. Lying on it at night hurts. If I put pressure on it, it actually feels better. It hurts every day and had been hurting since nov! Again it feels stiff and sore. What could it be? Appendix is good.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
First concerning your worry for appendicitis, it is a possibility, but you do not actually present with classical symptoms of an appendicular pain. the pain in appendicitis is usually a dull pain, on the right lower quadrant of the abdomen (below the navel a bit to the right), permanent, moderate to severe, usually accompanied by fever, nausea or at times vomiting, with a general feeling of being unwell. A full blood count when done reveals high blood blood cells and raised acute phase reactants on blood examination. An abdominal ultrasound might reveal an inflammed appendix. In your case, it is not the most like cause of the pain, but its worth being excluded anyway.
The pain you describe looks more of a mechanical pain, and less likely inflammatory. I suggest you do an X XXXXXXX of the Hip joint, tests for rheumatologic disease to rule out rheumatic arthritis. An abdominal ultrasound, a complete blood count , markers of inflammation (ESR and C reactive proteins) and a rheumatologic work up for rheumatic arthritis and other rheumatic diseases could be necessary if symptoms persist. An abdominal ultrasound might be an additional advantage in visualize the structure and integrity of the kidneys and associated structures, to detect any kidney stones if present.
I might not know much about your weight. Usually in people who are over weight, losing weight on its own might be of help.
Consulting an Internist might be necessary for a proper evaluation and workup.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.