Pain in head when weight lifting. MRI normal. Could you assist?

Nov 2013

While exercising (Weight lifting) I felt a sudden pain in the head like blood rushing in my head. It occurs everytime I exercise. I had done an MRI test but there was nothing serious. Could you assist
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
Your symptoms are sudden pain in the head related to weight-lifting exercises. I have noted that MRI brain is normal.
The most likely reason of headache in your case could be a normal increase in blood flow related to exercise. Increased blood flow leads to throbbing sensations over blood vessels (over the temple/forehead) and occasional headaches, which subside in a few minutes. No other accompanying symptoms (such as nausea, vomiting or dizziness) usually occur.
The most serious thing to exclude in a person who has severe headache after an exercise is aneurysm (a ballon-like dilatation from a blood vessel), and its rupture. This can be diagnosed by MR angiogram or CT angiogram or 4-vessel cerebral angiography (DSA-digital substration angiography).
You may consult your neurologist for detailed evaluation.
Please get back to me if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad.