Pain in head, sore and tender to touch. Could it just be from bending my head too much?

Nov 2013

I have had a weird pain on the side of my head, sort of a few centimeters behind my ear. It feels like a vein is there. It's slightly raised, but then again, so is the one on the right which gives me no pain. It is sore and tender to the touch. It just won't go away. Not sharp, but throbbing a bit. A dull pain, that is more intense when I move my head in certain ways. Could it just be from bending my head too much (I'm a teacher and spend a lot of time marking at a desk with my head down) or from sleeping incorrectly? It worries me because I am going to be hiking up to XXXXXXX Base Camp in a few weeks, and wonder if the altitude might be XXXXXXX
I've had it for several days now and panadol has no effect on it!
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 47 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
The pain you have described is most likely because of muscle tension of the scalp and neck muscles. These usually are related to the posture one adopts. However, sometimes, there may not be any obvious reason. Pain is present at rest, but gets aggravated by neck movements or pressure over the affected area.
Often it resolves on its own. However, pain killers such as paracetamol or etoricoxib may be taken. Pain killer gels and ointments are also useful.
Generally, no investigations are required. However, if the symptoms persist beyond a few weeks, you should see your GP for further evaluation.
There is no need to worry and you can go ahead with the plans of hiking.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any further queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist