Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain in head of penis after sneezing, discomfort in penis. Cause?

Excellent

Question
I am a 22 year old male. This morning when i was laying in bed i got the urge to sneeze so i sat up and sneezed and when i did i experienced some relatively mild pain in the head of my penis. It was more like intense pressure just in the head of my penis. I experienced some mild discomfort throughout the rest of the day. What could cause this? In case it helps my penis was kind of sitting on my legs and not hanging down between them like when I normally sneeze or cough without any pain.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the query

When a person sneezes there in increase in intra abdominal pressure, this happens to give that extra force to throw out dust and viruses through sneezing or even coughing. This intra abdominal pressure during the act of sneezing has unfortunately got transmitted to your penis as well. Most of the times the pain gets relieved in a day or two, if the pain persists then I advice you to see a urologist. Try wearing boxer shorts for the next few days as it will help.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to get back

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Pain in head of penis after sneezing, discomfort in penis. Cause? 4 minutes later
Thanks for the quick answer. I'm pretty sure its nothing serious bc i accidentally sneezed with an erection once and experienced the same feeling and the pain went away. I just didnt want to take any chances. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later
Hello

I am glad I was of help

Follow-up: Pain in head of penis after sneezing, discomfort in penis. Cause? 2 days later
Ok one more follow up question. I am no longer in pain but i have noticed that since it happened, i have been having the urge to pee all the time. But when i go not much comes out. Idk if the 2 things could possibly be related. Once i have health insurance i will see a urologist but what would they even do to figure out whats going on? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the reply

I would like to know a few more things

1. Do you have burning while peeing?
2. Does it happen all the time? Do you feel your bladder is not emptying adequately?
3. Do you have to get up at night time to pee?

Please get back to me, it might not be related and the symtoms could be just a co incidence

i am awaiting your reply

regards

Follow-up: Pain in head of penis after sneezing, discomfort in penis. Cause? 1 hour later
No I have no pain at all. It feels like im not emptying my bladder fully. And when i do pee its a very very weak flow.

Hello

Thanks for the reply

It looks like what you are suffering from is certainly a traumatic lesion, most probably in the urethra. It could be because of the violent sneeze you had. This also should settle down with time but for now drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated, this should help you with a better bladder contraction and evacuation. Please XXXXXXX the urologist as soon as possible

I hope I was of help