Pain in head and ear after insect entered ear. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
There was some insect enter in my wife's ear (left side). and there is pain in head and ear. please suggest
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 25 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. There are two possibilities here. It is always preferable to get the ear checked first by an ear examination (otoscope).

2. If there is an actual insect, you may use liquid paraffin ear drops to smother it. It can hen be removed under a microscope.

3. The second possibility is Tinnitus (abnormal noise or insect like sounds heard in the ear) when there is an ear problem. This is also very common.

4. Since she also has ear ache and head ache, it is better if you get her ear examined. This simple procedure will settle the diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.