Pain in hand radiating to abdomen, pain while breathing. What could be the cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
24 year old male woke up this morning with pain in right hand side (flank of back) that radiates to right hand side of abdomen. Hurts worse when breathing in deeply.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
You have mentioned that the pain radiates to the right hand side of abdomen.
Since you have pain when you breath in deeply, it has to be related the Diaphragm or pleura.

Structures which are closely associated to diaphragm on right side can cause such pain. These include, Lower lobe of right lung and right sided pleura, Right Lower Ribs, Liver and gall bladder and right Kidney.

If there has been injury to the muscles over the abdomen, even then there can be pain related to respiration.

Hence, Ultrasound Abdomen is definitely indicated. Consider getting and X XXXXXXX chest too as lower right lung lesions can lead to similar pain abdomen as in you.

Till then, you can take an analgesic.
Consider taking paracetamol or ibuprofen for your pain.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.