Pain in hair roots from head, happens when leaving hair dirty. Why is this happening?

Hi. I feel pain at all hair roots from my head. If I move the hair, brush to another side, scratch fingers over the roots, any movement hurts a lot. At some times of the day, it hurts more or left, i see no pattern for it. And it always happens when i leave the hair dirty for more than 3 days, but I used to do that many years ago, even waiting a week to wash the hair, and the hair never hurted before, now it always happens, since a couple years ago.

I tried to brush hair to the other sides, but it nevers stands there, always fall to the same side, it seems the hair is stick to one rest position only.

Why is it happening ? Is it normal ?

Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi dear,

Thanks for writing in.

Before suggesting you treatment I would like to know-

Since when you have this problem?

Do you have pain while touching the scalp?

Do you have swollen neck/ occipital glands?

Is any family member having similar problem ?

Do you have any other problem like(dandruff /hair fall)?

Answer the above questions to help you better.

According to your description given by you ,you seem to have bacterial infection leading to pain in scalp.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Pain in hair roots from head, happens when leaving hair dirty. Why is this happening? 7 hours later
This has been happening since 2 years ago. I don't know any possible change that could have caused that.

Yes when I rubb the scalp, at the hairs root, it hurts, when it moves the hair from its rest place.

I have no neck or gland issues that i know.

My hair falls very often. After brushing there's always some portion of hair on the brush. But I also have dense hair, so i can't tell if it's an abnormal amount. In a week, the brush gets black (of hairs).

I haven't seen anyone with this hair pain in family, just me.

My skin is a bit oily, one day without soap, and acne starts appearing here and there. The hair gets oily if I don't wash for more than 3 days.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 29 minutes later
Hi Again,

Thanks for the details.

My Advise to you would be-

Use selenium sulfide and ciclopirox shampoo on alternate day.

Use good quality hair conditioner also.

Orally you can take multivitamin/multimineral supplement.They should contain biotin/B group vitamins,amino acids like cysteine ,methionine,arginine.

Use warm water for washing hair.Too hot or too cold water should not be used.

Avoid combing hair when they are wet.

Avoid excessive sunlight, wind exposure to hair.

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.